Bangalore University comprised of only one Engineering college at Bangalore up to about 1945, known as Bangalore Engineering College. At that time Bangalore was a city in Mysore State, a princely state, headed by a Maharaja, capital being Mysore city.
There used to be other colleges in Bangalore and Mysore, before 1945 as under.
- At Bangalore city,
- Engineering college-Used to cater for Intermediate students offering BE graduation, in Civil,Mechanical or Electrical graduation (ONLY IN THREE BRANCHES).
- Central College-Used to cater for BSc and MSc students.
- Inter Science College-(admission after SSLC from high school) for entry of :students to Engineering college,Medical college or for entry into central college.
- Maharani's College-Used to cater only ladies for their BSc graduation.
- Medical school- used to cater for students for Medical profession giving a Diploma in Medicine. This was established in 1917 as the Mysore Medical School at Bangalore, and it was upgraded to a college in 1924, and re-located to Mysore in 1930.
- At Mysore city,
- Maharani's college-Used to cater only ladies for their BSc graduation.
- Medical college-used to cater for students for Medical profession giving a Degree in Medicine, MBBS.